Friday, January 9, 2015

A new book warms the winter...

 It may be an Iowa winter howling outside my studio door, but it's sweet and gentle summer in the Upper Midwest North Woods on my drawing board! I've been steadily working on illustrations fora  new book project since the fall and am currently tackling the cover. The title is North Woods Girl, a forth-coming publication of Minnesota Historical Society Press/Borealis Books. Written by a very talented Minnesota writer- more details on her later!- I know readers will love this story of how the love of nature can pass from generation to generation.

I love drawing all the new animals to me, as I did my in my last project set in Alaska. Bunchberry, birch, sweet scarlet tanagers, red fox, shy hare, sleek merganser...all and more will have cameos along side the two plucky human characters as they walk their way through the North Woods seasons.

Now back to the drawing board as they say.










2 comments:

Julie Clay Illustration said...

This sounds like an exciting project, I've fallen out of love with the book illustrating, I found it quite difficult and time consuming, and going through an agent (which seemed to be the only way) made it quite poorly paid. I love your bird, is that the merganser? and the photos, beautiful. :)

Claudia said...

Hi Julie! Catching up after falling into a black hole...thank you for your comments! And yes, books are Tough Love. They can be exhausting and exhilarating.

Blog Archive