Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Randolph Rides Again



I always look forward to the Caldecott award announcement. It's a bright spot of news in the bleak of winter for a children's book illustrator. The 2012 Caldecott medal winner goes to A Ball for Daisy, written and illustrated by Chris Raschka (published by Schwartz & Wade Books).

I heard Raschka speak at Hubbs, the one-day children's literature conference held in St Paul, last February. His talk was as easy going and as affable as his illustration style. Wistfully, I listened when he talked of the line-up of great book projects he had in his studio, and unknown to even him at the time, A Ball for Daisy must have been among these works. I will look forward to looking and studying his lovely, gestural line in this newest member of the Caledcott winning family.

The Caldecott honor books chosen are as interesting and worthy to me, the best of the best for the year, and usually a couple of my favorites are among these. Grandpa Green, written and illustrated by Lane Smith (I am a closet lover of topiary!) and Me … Jane, written and illustrated by Patrick McDonnell are on this list. I was particulary touched by the latter's pictorial celebration of Jane Goodall's life. I once met Goodall when I was an anthropology student; her story is one I carry close to my primate heart!

So make it a point to find and share these books and enjoy their wonderful story telling achievements; telling stories through pictures is part of our DNA. Ride on, picture books!

1 comment:

Julie Clay Illustration said...

Hi Claudia, don't know if you read the blog 'seven impossible things before breakfast' but if you look back on it, it features some artwork from the winning book you mention today.

Blog Archive