Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hail and Farewell Augustus



A new personal philosophy formed while I was recently shopping and had to look past all the fall (even Halloween) decorations clogging the aisles. Reader, it was only July! All of a sudden, I had seen one too many jack o’ lanterns. The whole retail calendar has gotten out of hand, tricking me into thinking I must prepare and consume for an event or season four months in advance. I’m boycotting out-of-season purchases and getting back to real time, celebrating each month as I know them and love them. So goodbye August, named after that wild Roman Augustus Caesar- he threw a mean summer toga party, I am sure. August, long golden month, of cicada calls changing to cricket song, faded swimsuits, fading gardens, fruit abundance, Iowa school bells, and that slight transparency to the sky. In August lives the dog days of summer; I enjoyed their bark!

No comments:

Blog Archive