Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Golden Birds


I was gifted with this book yesterday, the little Golden Book of Birds. It's illustrated by Feodor Rojankovsky, one of my favorite illustrators of this era. The text by Hazel Lockwood is a cheerful, 1940's style conversation to the reader.

Rojankovsky had a lovely sense of composition and he does with birds what I strive to do as well. Render each bird with personality without tipping it into caricature. These are tweets to inspire!

I do love the whole history of Golden Books and you can read more about Rojankovsky, a frequent contributer to these gems, in a book I highly recommend called "Golden Legacy" by Leonard Marcus. It's "how Golden Books won children's hearts, changed publishing forever, and became an American Icon along the way".

Thank you Jennifer, my fellow Illustrative One!

2 comments:

Jennifer Black Reinhardt said...

You create that same sense of character with all your lovely critters!

Claudia said...

Ditto in your illustration world.

Blog Archive