Tuesday, July 17, 2012



Back in April, I met one of my favorite illustrators, Melissa Sweet, at an SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) conference. I have most of Melissa's picture books (most recently award-winning "Balloons Over Broadway"), but because I had travelled out of state for this conference, lugging books in my suitcase was not possible. Instead, I had her sign something small I carry with me in any event, a colored pencil set tin illustrated with her work. The brand named "eeBoo" makes great children's things, including lovely art supplies like this pencil set. The quality of the colored pencils, lush and waxy, is top notch. And these tins are adorable! Melissa signed the inside lid, and now I've retired the tin; I don't want to scratch off her signiature. Officially, it belongs to daughter Lucy, but I'll just keep it in my studio for inspiration.

Melissa said eeBoo let her name her own colors in the pencil set of 24. How cool was that! I've always loved evocative color names (like paint samples or jcrew sweater colors!) and Melissa's are well chosen; Lava black, Georgia peach, Bayberry green. I decided for a little writing exercise that I'd come up with my own set of colors to reflect my Midwest surroundings. So eeBoo, if you are ever interested....!


River bottom brown
Gothic black
Farmhouse white
Katydid green
Wikiup brown
Catbird gray
Cardinal red
Goldfinch yellow
Combine green
Twilight blue
New corn green
Firefly yellow
State fair blue
Oak leaf green
Harvest moon cream
Bobcat buff
Hickory nut brown
Gravel road gray
Coneflower purple
Butterfly weed orange
Demin blue
Fox red
Wild rose
Piglet pink





2 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

Good idea! I think you named good for the midwest! Lets see for the Colorado mountain how about dirt red and alpine purple? She seems to always be at the LA SCBWI conference - are you going this year?

Claudia said...

I've never been to the LA one (the NYC one once), but it's always tempting.

I love your pencil color choice, esp. alpine purple! You have those cool golden marmots, too:) And not to mention a million colors of stone.

Hope you are staying out of the way of fire and heat. We are in the frying pan right now. What a summer!

Blog Archive