Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Book Launched!

It seems like a book has many births. One from the studio, as manuscript and art are truely finalized. One, as it gets shipped off to the printers. Another, when you finally hold the advance copy in your hand. One, the official "Street Date", when it hits bookstores and online shopping sites. But the best is a book's public birthday, usually marked in the author's home or library or other gathering space.

In Iowa City, we are lucky enough to have one of the best Indie bookstore's in the country. Prairie Lights is an icon. It holds significant personal connections for our community and the general international writing and book-loving family. I was delighted "My Wilderness" could have it's birthday book launch there last weekend, and overwhelmed by the enthusiastic audience that showed up! I enjoyed giving a program on my research; it feels like a gift to myself to share some of the details of the book making journey. Otherwise, so much get boxed away without others ever knowing what goes into a book based on non-fiction topics.

So thank you for those that joined me at Prairie Lights. I love that Rocky's story is getting out there and connecting with you! I've also had some wonderful emails from parents. They express a connection and maybe a longing for what the Kent's experienced on Fox Island those may decades ago. And that is the purpose of Story.




1 comment:

Mr. Harding and Friends said...

Claudia,
We just received My Wilderness today. We read it right away! What a fantastic story! With words and illustrations you capture the adventure, the peace, the beauty and life of Alaska's wilderness. My first graders are instant fans of Alaska and their teacher can't wait to return.
Thank you for all your stories!
Mr. Harding and Friends

Blog Archive