Sunday, July 21, 2013

An Illustrator is Nice...

A little shout-out to one of my favorite illustrators who passed away this week. Marc Simont's work graced many picture books. He won a Caledcott (1957) for A Tree is Nice (written by Janice May Udry), the title a sentiment I still whisper to myself when lost in a moment of natural world reverie. I love the picture of the snoozing granny and reading mother under the shade.

A lesser know picture book called "Glaciers" is a non-fiction work, written by Wendell Tangborn. The original printing of this book was illustrated by an artist with a realistic, yet a bit ho-hum pen-and  ink style. I accidentally ordered this one online when I was trying to track down a picture book I had borrowed from the library. This library copy had been a reprinted version a few years more recent, with Marc Simont as illustrator. "Glaciers", with Simont's renderings, bursts with feeling. His sensitive line quality and an added human elements made you want to explore the icy worlds.  With the two books side by side, I was able to see what illustrations for me evoked a story rather than just instructed on facts.  I appreciated Marc Simont's great talents even more.

I see his influence in many contemporary illustrators today. He has left a mark in me as a reader and artist as well.


Marc Simont
1915-2013

No comments:

Blog Archive